Solving the Liquidity Challenge for Credit Unions
Presented by Frank Farone, Managing Director, Darling Consulting Group
Thursday, February 23, 2023 • 11:00 a.m – 12:00 p.m. ET
• • • • • • • •
We are delighted to hold our first member webinar of 2023, an informative session focused on liquidity. This webinar will address current and upcoming liquidity challenges in our industry and what credit unions should consider doing to develop a “best practice” approach to liquidity management. Deposits are down, cash levels are shrinking, and wholesale funding is on the rise. Furthermore, deposit competition is intensifying as the Fed continues to raise rates during this historical tightening cycle, and the delta between wholesale rates and deposit costs reaches extraordinary levels. Undeniably, liquidity is coming under pressure, and regulators are taking notice. Despite all these trends, credit unions need not panic that a liquidity crisis is on the horizon.
During this webinar, we will share recent regulatory feedback and provide action items to enhance liquid reporting, including dynamic forecasting, stress testing, early warning indicators, and effective policy development. Additionally, the session will include case studies that highlight deposit strategies to manage the rising cost of liquidity most effectively during this tightening cycle, including hedging strategies to optimize earnings. To help position your credit union for success in 2023 and beyond, this webinar will address the following:
- Managing regulatory pressures and expectations
- Identifying the appropriate liquid asset cushion (and not just cash!)
- Critical elements of an effective Contingency Funding Plan
- Building the appropriate stress tests – and remediation plans
- Becoming comfortable with higher levels of wholesale funding
- Deposit strategies to help manage rising funding costs
- Hedging strategies for IRR
- NEV issues, challenges, and solutions
- Policies that make good business sense, not regulatory appeasement!