President's Report

February 17, 2011

Dividend Announcement

FHLBNY Declares a 5.80% Dividend for the Fourth Quarter of 2010

The Federal Home Loan Bank of New York (“FHLBNY”) is pleased to report that, on February 17, 2011, your Board of Directors approved a dividend rate for the fourth quarter of 2010 of 5.80% (annualized). The FHLBNY’s dividend rate for the third quarter of 2010 was 6.50%. The dollar amount of the fourth quarter of 2010 dividend will be approximately $67 million. The cash dividend will be distributed to member financial institutions on February 18, 2011.

Our third quarter 2010 dividend rate significantly exceeded its prior quarter’s dividend. However, as we stated back in November 2010, future dividends were expected to be lower than the third quarter 2010 dividend rate. Given the continued extreme volatility in the markets and our projections into the current year, we continue to hold this expectation.

The dividend reflects the FHLBNY’s low-risk profile/conservative investment strategy and is reflective of a low interest rate business environment coupled with increased earnings volatility caused by evolving accounting standards. The payout represents approximately 78 percent of net income for the quarter. The remaining 22 percent of net income will be put toward building retained earnings.We will continue to maintain retained earnings at calibrated levels to help ensure future regulatory compliance and provide additional protection for the capital investment of our stockholders. After the dividend payment, unrestricted retained earnings as of January 31, 2011, will be approximately $670 million.

Primarily due to the effects of conforming with current accounting rules, please note that the FHLBNY’s Board intends to continue to vote on dividend declarations at least six weeks (or longer) after the close of the calendar quarter.

The FHLBNY expects to file its Form 10-K for 2010 with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission during the last week of March, 2011. The document will be available at the “EDGAR” portion of the SEC website at


Alfred A. DelliBovi
President & CEO

# # #

Safe Harbor Statement Under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995
This report may contain forward-looking statements within the meaning of the “safe harbor” provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements are based upon our current expectations and speak only as of the date hereof. These statements may use forward-looking terms, such as “projected,” “expects,” “may,” or their negatives or other variations of these terms. The Bank cautions that, by their nature, forward-looking statements involve risk or uncertainty and that actual results could differ materially from those expressed or implied in these forward-looking statements or could affect the extent to which a particular objective, projection, estimate, or prediction is realized. These forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties including, but not limited to, regulatory and accounting rule adjustments or requirements, changes in interest rates, changes in projected business volumes, changes in prepayment speeds on mortgage assets, the cost of our funding, changes in our membership profile, the withdrawal of one or more large members, competitive pressures, shifts in demand for our products, and general economic conditions. We undertake no obligation to revise or update publicly any forward-looking statements for any reason.

Related Links

Strength in Our Cooperative

Investor Relations

Member Resource Center

Latest Reports

A Year of Strong Performance

The FHLBNY Declares a 6.90% Dividend for the...

Engaging Members, Enhancing Value

Stay Connected

Sign up to receive rss or email updates from us.